Ogunquit, Maine

This week we took a family outing to the state of Maine. We heard from some friends about a town that has a great beach, fun lobster boat tours, and is only about an hour and a half away. We were sold.

We started the day out with the lobster boat tour. It was a really fun, unique experience. Emily started out the trip by telling everyone that she already saw lobsters, or "mobsters", at the grocery store. Anyways, there was only us and one other family so it was pretty personal. They tell you all about baiting the traps, the specific measurements the lobsters have to be in order to be kept, and finally pull up a few traps. Of the four traps our lobsterman pulled up, only one of them had lobsters. There were 4 lobsters in the trap, and he only kept 2. We also saw the 'summer cottages' aka summer mansions along the coastline. It was gorgeous.

Family picture with the lobster.
Me and my lobster friend. Emily wouldn't hold or touch them. They were cute to look at, but too scary to touch according to her.
My lobster started going all sorts of nutso on me. He was all wiggly. Justin was very proud of getting this photo, that is why I am putting it on here.

They also had crabs and sea urchins you could hold. This little sucker scared the bejeebers out of me the first time he crawled out of his shell. I actually started squealing and then Emily started squealing and we were just two goofy girls scared of a little tiny crab.

Em wouldn't touch the lobsters, the crabs, or the sea urchins, but she LOVED the star fish.
Here is our lobsterman trying to persuade Emily to touch the lobster. She wasn't going for it.
Emily driving the boat.
Justin and Emily in front of the boat we took our tour on.
After the boat tour we took a walk along the shoreline. It was SO hot and muggy that we didn't get very far before we decided it was time to go find the beach. It was so nice to just hang out at the beach for a little while. It was quite chilly, but Justin and Emily still swam.

After the beach we went to dinner with the intention of getting a twin lobster dish. However, we sort of chickened out and ordered a steak and lobster tail. The steak was of course delicious, and the lobster was quite yummy too. I think next time I will definitely try the whole thing. At dinner my caesar salad had an anchovy on the top. Justin told Emily to close her eyes, and open her mouth and he stuck it in. She really liked it. She wanted more. Yuck.

Then we drove a long tired drive home. I love fun daycations. I loved Maine. It was so beautiful and full of charm. I'm anxious to go back!! (Oh, and if you come visit us, we'll take you there :) ).

Comments

Karolyn said…
Allison! I know I am REALLY late but CONGRATULATIONS! I just watched your announcement videos, which were so darling! I am so excited for you!

Also, I have been to Ogunquit beach so I really enjoyed your pictures-that is a beautiful area!
Kristin said…
Enjoyed the "nutso" picture. Looks like a fun day!

Popular Posts