10 Lessons Learned From Gardening This Summer

So the weather is getting a little colder and I'm not sure how much longer our garden will last so I thought I'd document some of the things I've learned in my first attempt at gardening.


1. Some stuff is not worth planting from seeds because either they take forever (i.e. tomatoes, carrots) or don't grow at all (peppers)

2. Plants that keep producing fruit are awesome! (i.e. green beans, tomatoes)

3. People buy those circular wire things for tomatoes to grow on for a reason. Otherwise they grow into a tangled mess that covers other plants (they're a good idea for beans too)

4. Too much rain and random fungus kill otherwise healthy squash plants and you only get two 6-inch zucchini after growing them all summer :(

5. Hauling water from inside the house every day really stinks (darn our landlord for not fixing the exterior water)

6. Picking herbs right in your backyard and putting them in your dinner is preferable to buying them at the store

7. Just because you plant it with intentions to eat it doesn't mean you will (I have a large arugula plant that I have no idea what to do with)

8. Hauling dirt from home depot is a hot, heavy, and expensive job

9. Even though your little garden is embarrassingly pathetic compared to the Eden your neighbor created next door, gardening is an easy conversation starter

10. Having an enthusiastic gardening buddy makes the work much more fun


On the left is our neighbor's garden chock full of tomato, pepper, pumpkin plants, various herbs, and other decorative plants. On the right are my sad little bean plants

Comments

radean said…
I love the fruits of your labor and you have a darling assistant!
EmmaLee said…
I'm glad you shared your lessons learned so I can be a little wiser when I get to do a garden. Thanks for plant sitting our tomatoes. We ought to come get them soon.

Popular Posts