Grandpa Ron

In the past few years our family has celebrated many joyous occassions. We have celebrated, and I've blogged, about weddings, births, moves, academic accomplishments, and many other things. Recently we had another occassion. Our Grandpa Ron has passed away. While this certainly is not joyous, in fact it is very sad (I'm crying), I think everyone who knew Ron would agree his life is worth remembering and celebrating.

Before I knew Ron he was a Los Angeles Sheriff. He loved to tell us stories about raids and adventures he had from this career. You couldn't help but feel excitement as he recounted these times and it showed you that although he retired from the force, he was always a Sheriff at heart.

Ron was also a recipient of a heart transplant. I had never been familiar with anyone who had gone through that sort of procedure. He shared with me once the story of him going into the operating room and having all of his family lined up in the hallway giving him high fives as he went to the operating room. The mental image of that moment is so beautiful to me. I am so grateful for that procedure because it prolonged his life to be a part of so many wonderful times. If you are not an organ donor, please become one. It really does save lives.

I first met Ron the Thanksgiving I was dating Justin. We went to Ron's home in June Lake. As overwhelmed as I was by being around so many new people I felt completely comfortable in Ron and Connie's home. They made anyone around them feel like family. The love those two show to all around them is indescribable.

Justin and I lived with Ron and Connie the summer after we got married and worked at their resort. It was such a wonderful time to get to know them. To hear their stories about shooting bears, fishing trips, and travels was so much fun. We also learned a valuable lesson. To be successful in life, you have to work hard. Working hard is just that- hard, but it does pay off in the end. Since then we have celebrated Christmas's, Thanksgivings, 4th of July's, random weekends, and many other fun times with Ron and Connie. They have been a part of all of the memorable times in our lives. The first few days of Emily's life, our graduation, and even our leaving to Boston.

I truly loved Ron and will miss his laughter, stories, beautiful salads, hugs, and smile.





Comments

kati's life said…
made me cry, i love my grandpa am am going to miss him!
Nate said…
Aww. I'm glad you guys got to come see him recently. I'm sorry for your loss.
socal smitties said…
Allison, that was the sweetest story - Ron sounds like an amazing man - how awesome to have known him. Thank you for sharing that.

Popular Posts