Tonsil Time

After a long history of ear infections, snoring, and grumpy kids the girls FINALLY were scheduled for a couple minor surgeries. Emily was getting her tonsils and adenoids removed and tubes put in her ears. Lyla was just getting the tubes put in. 

I scheduled them both on the same day, and since my Mom declared me a crazy person, she planned to fly out and help with the girls. 

In preparation we bought popsicles, fudgesicles, ice cream, yogurt, and borrowed a Vitamix to make smoothies. Emily was STOKED!

Morning of we checked in at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. They gave us a whole room for the day and here was our incredible view. 
 We all had to change into fancy clothes. The girls looked really cute in their little gowns. 
Justin went with Lyla while she got her tubes put in. When she woke up from her anesthesia she was super snuggly and sweet. She came back up to the room and watched cartoons while we waited for Emily to be done. 
I went down and met Emily when she woke up and the experience was not the same as Lyla's. I cried a little when I saw her because she had already woken up and was so unhappy. She was in so much pain, with no real understanding of why or what happened. This particular cranky Emily was unlike anything I've ever seen in this girl. Any time a nurse would talk to her she would glare at her and then turn to me and say, "Why is this person talking to me?" through clenched teeth. I tried desperately to get her to sleep, because that seemed to be the only thing to keep her from crying. Eventually they put her on a some pretty heavy painkillers and she was able to relax a little bit. 

Being at the hospital that day was basically like being at an all-inclusive resort for Lyla. She was in no pain, so she got to lay in her own bed that she could control and watch Disney Jr. and Nickelodeon (we have neither channel at home). Every time a nurse would come in Lyla would say, "I have another popsicle pease? red one?" It was very much like me laying by a pool saying, "I have another strawberry daiquiri pease?" haha. She was very sad when we had to go home. 

This little monkey also enjoyed relaxing at the hospital, but not quite as much as her sister. She liked that I snuggled her on the bed for a couple hours, but that was about it. When it was time to go, she didn't want to go though. I don't blame her all that much. 


Life at home was pretty rough at first. Emily did NOT want to take her medicine and Lyla did NOT want her ear drops. I ran out of Lyla's ear drops a few days early and when I called the pharmacy to see if I could get more, cash price for the drops was like $200 or something crazy like that, so thank goodness the insurance company ok'd it. 

Grumpy Emily stayed around for a little bit. A couple funny things she said were, 
"I thought it would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THIS bad!" 
"I wish Lyla had gotten her tonsils out instead!"
"I am never ever ever going to feel better!"
I felt so bad for her.

Another benefit of having grandma come is she brought a craft for every day she was here. Here the girls are painting horses. Thank goodness for Grandma, because I was all set to snuggle and sleep the whole time. 
We made it through. Grandma went home and I only cried a little bit. The rest of recovery went well. Well enough that a week later the girls and I decided to go to Arizona for a vacay. So glad that's over. Let's cross our fingers for good health in the future.

**One last note. It's interesting how something minor puts life into perspective. A tonsillectomy is really not that big of a deal, but as a parent there are still a lot of emotions felt, seeing your child in pain. It broke my heart just thinking about the parents who have truly sick children and have to go through those emotions day after day. I am truly grateful for the good health of my family and have so much more respect for the mothers and fathers or any caregivers whose lives are affect(ran) by health issues. 

Comments

Popular Posts