Happy Valentines Day- Better Late Than Never





After a very eventful weekend I have a lot of posts to catch up on, so please be patient. I'll start with Valentines day. It has been fun reading friends' blogs about their romantic Valentines day's and all of the things they love the most. Justin and I wanted to share our romantic day turned disaster with everyone. Here's our story...
It has been a while since Justin and I have had any time alone so Justin planned Valentines day for just the two of us. He made reservations for us at the Roof Restaurant in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (very romantic restaurant on the top floor of a fancy building in Salt Lake). We even planned on leaving Emily with our friends Lindsey and Brandon. We got all dolled up and it was going to be amazing. 
Well my mom and brother were planning on flying in that night and changed their flight so that they would watch Emily for us. Here was the new plan: Justin and I each drive to SLC. Pick up my mom at the airport, she goes home with the baby and Justin and I head out to romance city. 
Everything is going according to plan until about 6 miles down the freeway when we encountered a ridiculous amount of traffic. I forgot to mention that there is a HUGE snowstorm going on around us. So we sit still for about 45 minutes when we hear that two semi trucks are jack-knifed (or something like that) a few miles ahead of us. Great. Well, we decide if we just sit tight we'll get through. For the next 2 hours I moved about a half a mile. Here's the best part, my little baby in the back seat HATES the car. Every 5 minutes I am turning around, fishing her pacifier out from around her feet and putting it back into her mouth. Eventually I called Justin (in the car behind me) and he switched me cars. That was fun- switching cars in a snow storm, wearing a dress, running on the icy freeway in my no traction high heels. Instead of staring into each others eyes talking about how great the last two years have been, we sent text messages between cars and occasionally called to see what the other person was doing (yes, I know there isn't a whole lot to do sitting in traffic). Okay- on with the story. Eventually we made it to an exit so we could turn around. I'm starving, Emily is starving so we find the nearest gas station. Justin gets me Doritos and a Dr. Pepper and I get Emily fed and we are ready to go. 
We stopped at a cute Italian restaurant and had dinner- the three of us. 
The night didn't go exactly as planned, but that's okay. We got a funny story out of it and I celebrated Valentines day with the two people I love the most in the entire world! 
p.s. Isn't Emily's Valentines outfit adorable?!?!

Comments

I really like your blog template! Sad to hear about your Valentine's day but at least you were together, for some of it, right? Did your mom and brother just have to wait at the airport? Emily is so precious and I love all the different pictures of her.
Stef said…
Oh my gosh Allison, I just want to squeeze her! She's so adorable! Bummer Valentine's Day, but at least you'll never forget it! :)
Karolyn said…
That is quite the exciting story! I'm glad you got to eat! And hopefully your family arrived safely. And yes-very cute outfit!

Popular Posts